Sunday, March 23, 2008

Opening Night




This 38 second clip basically sums up Cassavetes for me. It is either the most rational, or most pretentious statement about movie goers I've heard, but it does offer insight into Cassavetes' style and approach to filmmaking. And it is VERY applicable to his movies, including 1977's Opening Night. Cassavetes smudges the line between life and art by presenting Myrtle, an aging stage actress played by Gena Rowlands feels alienated in her love life, as well as her professional life, especially after witnessing the death of one of her adoring fans who was hit by a car. The movie follows her through her coping with essentially her self-destruction. Nonetheless, it is very Cassavete-esque. Everything is recognizable as his style: the cast, camera movement and typical duration of scenes and shots are all demonstrative of Cassavetes. And the father independent film, at this point in my life, is tried and true. Perhaps in 1977, I would be amused by his innovation. I probably belong to the mass Cassavetes mentions in the above video. It's ok with me.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Haha, I like your post Anniessa. I definitely agree with what you said about the 70s.. like if we had watched these movies back then, before all the more.. modern.. independent films came out, maybe we would have a different perspective? Maybe these were really good then because they didn't have such high standards? Who knows!