Tuesday, March 25, 2008

KUROSAWAAA!

Stud.

I know the main focus of this class is to appreciate a film holistically. However, I still believe that some components really do make or break a movie. In this case, I'm going to wax idiotic about the decisions a director made about an actor. I'm talking about the great Kurosawa-Mifune connection. I thoroughly enjoyed every Kurosawa movie we watched (especially Yojimbo) I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that my favorite part might be Toshiro Mifune. Partially because I have a slight crush on him. (He has dreamy eyes.) Partially because he was able to portray a self-deprecating, roving warrior in one film, and a novice, consumed detective in another pretty seamlessly.


I was most impressed with Yojimbo, mainly by Kurosawa's deliberate inclusion of Mifune as the composed renegade amidst power-crazy crazies. The dynamics between the groups and Kuwabatake Sanjuro, Mifune's character, are super evident in the expressions given and the emphasis put on said expressions. Mifune's expressions are subtle, yet he delivers a broad range. Compared to the thugs, he is much more composed and rational, which is hugely evident, especially when he manages to dupe them several times in a row. He clearly dominates the screen, with his smug grimace and rhythmic walk, enhanced by the music composed by Masaru Sato.
Even the music is notable in the film, as the score almost mocks the "grave" situations in the film. Titillating xylophones and jazzy, big band-ish orchestral movements offered a lighthearted, humorous feel to the film, despite the fact that the main subject was killing.
As for Mifune, he was a well-developed actor and has consequently sparked further interest in me to watch the movies he's in. Mostly because he's talented. Clearly because he's a babe.

No comments: