Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?

Yo yo yo!

Firstly, can anyone name the movie the title of this post is from?? I'm pretty sure most of you have seen it. I hope so at least.
Ok now on to more pressing issues.
In my last post I mentioned a little film by the name of Crash. Unfortunately, David Cronenberg did not direct the 2004 Best Picture version I'm sure everyone is familiar with. Sorry for any confusion. You should still check out Cronenberg's 1996 Crash for a different kind of "mind-fornication" (except change fornication with a synonym starting with the same letter).

ANYWAY.

I saw Eastern Promises this weekend and it actually turned out to be as good as I anticipated. I thought Viggo did a wonderful job (however, he rarely disappoints). I can best describe the impression his character gave me by comparing it to when I watch the scene in Aladdin when Jasmine starts flirting with (and eventually makes out with) Jafar so that Aladdin can grab the lamp. It's really uncomfortable, and you shouldn't be supporting her behavior, but at the same time you can't help but be drawn to the situation because it's so opposite of what's conventional and acceptable.

Maybe that's just me.

Nikolai, Viggo's character, is creepy, but in an accessible way. He does some crazy stuff, but somehow manages to redeem himself, which allows him to stay favorable in the audience's mind.
I don't want to give any more away. But go see it.
Except Ryne, who should definitely follow his gut and see the Bratz movie.

I also had the great fortune to watch Frederico Fellini's 8 1/2 this weekend. Having heard praise from people whose opinion I trust and value, I was afraid of, what I like to call, "over-hypensation". This phenomenon is unavoidable, in fact, I probably demonstrated some tendencies during my Eastern Promises rant.

I'm glad to say I did not experience over-hypensation and was totally down with Fellini's neorealist, albeit archetypal, 1963 classic. (In fact, I feel like Michel Gondry might have gotten some themes for last year's Science of Sleep from this movie.) I was so down with it that I gave into rewatching it with the commentary on, which I almost never do. I watched some key scenes, and boy, am I glad I did, especially learning about the potential background of asa nisi masa, the rosebud of 8 1/2. Fellini is a most interesting director and thanks to Blockbuster Total-Access, La Strada and La Dolce Vita will be arriving at my humble abode any day now.

Bless you Blockbuster Total-Access.

Since I mentioned him in this post and we're going to watch Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind later this year, I figure this would be approprite. Maybe you guys will appreciate getting a little more familiar with the elusive Michel Gondry.

5 comments:

Kate said...

If I am not mistaken....it's fight club? Anyway, fabbity fab! I didn't end up seeing Eastern Promises this weekend becuase of various unforseen and unfortunate events. But I'm going to try again this weekend (some night after work I think). Reading this got me even more excited and although I am wary of "over-hypensation" as you so put it, I don't think I am going to be disappointed. Cheerio.

p.s. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind : FABULOUS movie. Loved it. I even dressed up as Clementine for an Oscar party at Whitney's house a year or two ago. It was a sweet costume.

Eric said...

Fight club, the part where they're on the plane... are you going to be asking any difficult questions any time soon?

Anyways... you brought up some very good points about Eastern Promises. The film looks very interesting and if and when I see it, I'll try to apply your Aladdin analogy to my interpretation of the film (everything can be described with disney)

Pimpin' All Over the World said...

Anniessa that video was the weirdest thing ever! Is that guy in Eternal Sunshine or something? But anyway, haha yes I definetly know what you mean about the uncomfortableness during that scene with Jasmine and Jafar. It seems like you watch a lot of pretty interesting movies...have you heard anything about that french one I have to go see for class?

Evan F said...

I don't know if it is fight club but it sounds familiar. and since two other people have said fight club, that backs up my geuss. Fight Club. so anyway, i read about Eastern Promises in Rolling stone and now after we just read those reviews in class it makes me want to see it more. good points too!

anna said...

Anniessa..Anniessa..Anniessa..
I thoroughly enjoyed reading your most latest post. I now would really like to see Aladdin again. I haven't seen it forever! I love that movie and all of its subliminal (or however you spell that word) messages. Oh, and also Eastern Promises seems exciting too. But that video is crazy. I need to learn how to do that. Well at least with my hands.