Monday, September 17, 2007

'Eastern Promises' to be Promising?

My first exposure to Eastern Promises was during the previews for a different movie. I exhibited typical movie-going tendencies by leaning over to the person next to me and whispering, "That looks good." Being quasi-exposed to director David Cronenberg (via Naked Lunch, Crash and A History of Violence), I was excited to hear that he was tackling a Russian mob movie, especially with Viggo Mortensen as the lead and featuring Vincent Cassel (one of my favorites). Acclaim from the Toronto Film Festival and Village Voice writer J. Hoberman, led me to the conclusion that Eastern Promises appears to be a movie I would not regret spending $8.25 on.
Although I am not well-versed in movie critics, J. Hoberman seemed like a reliable source when investigating my hunch about Cronenberg’s potential success. I was not disappointed. Hoberman starts out by calling Cronenberg:

...the most provocative, original, and consistently excellent North American director of his generation.


This is, of course, totally subjective, but in some regards I suppose Cronenberg's efforts have been weirdly incongruent, and yet, critically acclaimed. But it wasn't Hoberman's generous compliment that made me respect the movie more. It was his adulation for Cronenberg’s style and technique that ignited a curious spark.

... Eastern Promises features Cronenberg's most unambiguous monster and straightforward narrative in years; the movie is a cosmic struggle between good and evil.



I mean, come on. If that doesn’t sound engaging, then I should probably just give up right now. Anytime the words “straightforward” and “cosmic” are used in the same sentence, there needs to be some level of artistry in the product. I’m not quite sure what the most enticing aspect of the movie is for me. I guess I’m most looking forward to the suspense factor which is achieved (I’m assuming) through the integration of teenage prostitution, a diary in a foreign language, a meddling mid-wife and, more importantly, Cronenberg’s unique means of how to present the Why? and How? without manipulating and exaggerating the Who? What? and Where? . Hoberman and I agree on this point but he mentions another Cronenbergian factor that is an acute observation and solidifies my faith in Hoberman.

[In]…usual…Cronenberg, the ordinary is severely contested terrain. (In a new scholarly treatment of the director, Mark Browning notes that nearly all of Cronenberg's post-1982 movies are designed to "problematize exactly what constitutes 'normality.')



Naked Lunch, to me, was probably the most applicable to Mark Browning’s statement (even if the book was messed up to begin with), but nonetheless, Eastern Promises seems to be accurately labeled by Hoberman.
I may have to wait to see the film to be able to comment on whether or not Hoberman was a resourceful critic for my interest in Eastern Promises, but I think over all his explanations and impressions are legitimate. Hopefully I can make time from my busy schedule to get my Eastern-organized-crime-action/thriller-meets-the-natural-struggle-between-benevolence-and-malevolence fix.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Yay, Anniessa! I also reviewed Eastern Promises and I have to say, I'm extremely excited to see it. I didn't know that the same guy directed Naked Lunch (which I really need to see as soon as I finish the book)...how lovely. Anyway, I'm pumped for the movie (I'm seeing it on Saturday after work). Great minds....like the same movies?

John L said...

Well written review of a review. You've sparked my interest in both a movie and I director I had never heard of. Thankfully I have people like you to help me find movies I would never have noticed without me having to do any actual searching.

Preston said...

I gotta say, this movie looks CREEPY. interesting, but based on that video you put up, it just looks creepy. I think it takes a really good director to take something as simple as "good vs. evil" and make it that engaging..

~PSH

Tyler's Blog said...

Anniessa, I havn't heard anything about this movie yet, but after reading your blog I guess I'm going to have to see it. Though the video makes the movie look REALLY wierd, it looks good none the less, I'm excitted now.

Unknown said...

That video was messed up dawg, but I can agree with you that it definitely looked enticing. Crash was great, so naturally I’d like to see another film by him. I liked the comment about using "straightforward" and "cosmic". When a critic can legitimately persuade a reader like that, they seem to gain a certain level of credibility.

Elliot H said...

Why hello there, your blog seems to be pretty populat with all the cool cats. But basically my comment is the exact same as everyone else's. Like always you are an awesome writer, so why aren't you in APWL, (i thought you were in APWL). It made me realize i don't watch movies like ever, cuz i've never seen any of this guy's other movies, they sound interesting though.

Ryne said...

Oooo this looks mysterious and exciting. Though I can't say I'm a fan of Crash, this movie looks very worthwhile and maybe, just maybe, be worth the money I was going to spend to go see the Bratz movie.

Mr. K said...

Anniessa: I'm not sure, but I think people might be thinking of the wrong "Crash." I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen any of Cronenberg's films, not even "A History of Violence," which was so acclaimed a few years ago. I'd like to start as far back as "Videodrome" and work my way forward from there. Anyway, you're an outstanding writer with a unique voice -- keep up the good work. Obviously, with the number of comments for this post, you're attracting quite a few readers with your eloquence and pazazz (is that a word?).